How to resolve “Your Account Has Been Suspended” by hosting provider – Possible causes and fixes for OpenCart, Magento, Prestashop & Drupal
Website suspended by host: Possible causes and solution of “Your Account Has Been Suspended”:
Did you recently receive a message “Your Account Has Been Suspended”, “the site you are trying to access is suspended”, “”account suspended contact your hosting provider”” or a similar message from your hosting provider?
We have detected that your www.example.com website is infected with malicious code and a huge number of email spam messages originating from it. In order to prevent further malicious activity from your account we have limited access to it, because malware is a threat not only to the health of your own website but also to the other accounts hosted on the same server.
You may see a full report on the malware location by clicking on the button “Security Report” and logging into your hosting account’s cPanel.
After you have cleaned the malicious code, you may request code review via the button “Request Review” to see if the cleanup has been complete and successful.
When hosting a website, one needs to be careful about the security and the maintenance of the website. When using a hosting service there are rules to be followed and terms to be met. But what happens when you find your website suspended by the host? Here are some warning messages shown by Web browser if your website is infected.
- Malware: If you are diligent in taking care of the website’s security then there are fewer chances of this happening. Since the attack by SQL Slammer in 2003, malware attacks are quite common. Hosting service providers will surely suspend the website if they find any malware or viruses on your website. They take this step to keep other websites on their servers safe and to stop the spreading of the malware.
- Hacked account: If your account is hacked and blacklisted by any search engine then the hosting service will suspend your website. This is done to prevent the hacker from doing any damage or spread any kinds of malware. If you find your website suspended, then this might be one of the reasons.
- Phishing attacks:Phishing attacks are fairly common. Thus, if the service provider finds any phishing pages on your website, then they might temporarily suspend your website. Google and various other search engines regularly crawl through websites to identify and block phishing pages and sites. Thus, if someone hacks your website and installs phishing pages, then the search engines will blacklist your website. Moreover, once the search engines blacklists your website, the hosting service will promptly suspend your website to protect other websites on its servers. Phishing is a kind of Social Engineering.
These are the first aids to a suspended website. However, our website needs a proper investigation to find out the error and rectify it.
- The first step is identifying if your website truly suspended or if there is any network problem. As mentioned above, using a proxy service can help you confirm any possibilities of network errors. You can also get a status of your DNS to check if it is active on all servers.
- The second step to take is inquiring with the hosting company as to what was the reason for the website suspension. The hosting service may assist you in identifying the cause for suspending your website. They might be able to help you identify the infections and the infected files. If there is an issue with payment, then they will guide you to sort it out.
- If there is an infected file or any malware, then you can move forward with their removal. You can either do it yourself or use a service like Astra to get rid of the files. Opting for a web security service will definitely get the job done with expertise and ensure that there is no more malware.
For suspended WordPress website
- If your WordPress website is suspended, then you can install a fresh copy of the website. This step is useful if the service provider is not able to give you the list of infected files. To do this, you need to download three files namely .htaccess file, wp-config.php file and wp-content folder. You also need to remove all other files and folders that you might be using outside of WordPress. After that, you will have to download the zip file and unzip it to upload it. Doing this will install a new and infection free website.
- Once you have restored the files, you need to install those files you backed up in the previous step. You need to find the root directory of your account and then upload those files. There might be a chance that these files may contain malware. Thus, you need to use a security tool to scan these files.
- Once you have installed a new copy of the website, you also need to check the status of the DNS. To reconfigure the DNS, you need to change the nameservers and add the new hosting that you added.
How Astra can help
Astra offers, among other security services, all-around security for your website. In case of doubts, you can easily get help and assistance from the team at Astra. For safely maintaining your website you can take help from this checklist that Astra has precisely designed to assist you. With Astra, you can stay updated all the time about your website.